In today’s post, I’ve decided to discuss guerrilla marketing.
Guerrilla Marketing: coined in 1984 by Jay Conrad Levinson, this term is used to describe unusually aggressive, imaginative marketing and promotion methods, usually on a very low budget.
As you can probably gather, guerrilla marketing is a relatively flexible term used to describe extreme, creative, and generally non-traditional marketing methods. An example that we’ve all probably seen is the movie-themed plastic cup we receive when purchasing a beverage at the movie theater. The two images above are just a few examples of how creative an advertising or marketing campaign can get. I’ve seen a car wash made up to look like a paper shredder. A plastic highlighter drawing a line on the road. The possibilities are endless, and that’s what’s so exciting about this area of marketing!
Guerrilla marketing turns viral- tourists or individuals will take pictures of these phenomena and share them online or in person with friends and family, increasing reach. It’s something that I believe every company should try to implement into their ongoing campaigns.
For more information on guerrilla marketing, read on:
- Guerrilla Marketing Association
- Guerrilla Marketing Online
- Wikipedia’s Guerrilla Marketing Page
- Cadbury Guerrilla Marketing–> A case study!
- Awesome Guerrilla Marketing Secrets
- Guerrilla Marketing, 4th edition: Easy and Inexpensive Strategies for Making Big Profits from Your SmallBusiness: this book is written by Jay Conrad Levinson, the Father of Guerrilla Marketing. Levinson runs the Guerrilla Marketing Online Website, as well as the face of the Official Guerrilla Marketing Association. He has sold more than 14 million books in his Guerrilla Marketing series. This new edition includes up to date case studies and new methods to inspire your creative team to think outside the lines that usually confine them. I personally recommend the book and hope you take a look at it!
- Guerrilla Marketing for Free: this is another book written by Jay Conrad Levinson, which focuses on how to implement guerrilla marketing for free with viral and word of mouth methods. In this book, Levinson literally gives you ideas and tells you how to implement them to maximize your profits and increase leads…all without depleting your financial resources. Levinson is an extremely talented writer with incredible advertising and marketing ideas, so be sure to check this and his other books out!